|Job Title||IRC22025 Rail Carman 2|
|Location||Clive Disposal Facility|
* Responsible to inspect, repair, rebuild and service railroad freight cars in accordance with FRA regulations, AAR rules, and company policies. This is accomplished through the use of hand tools, power tools, cutting torches and welding equipment.
* Conducts inspections of rolling stock (e.g. freight cars, flatcars, tank cars, rock cars, multi-level cars, stack cars etc.) for defects or evidence of wear; inspects rolling stock for compliance with industry standards; inspects lading for shifting loads, clearances, and compliance with rules; inspects rolling stock damaged in derailments or collisions; conducts pre-trip inspections (air brake tests, fuel, etc.).
* Performs scheduled and on demand maintenance including: initial terminal air brake tests and other pre-trip maintenance; lubricates journals; cleans and prepares surfaces for painting.
* Repairs rolling stock structural components. Fabricates, cuts, and performs rough finish operations on metal and wood replacement parts; fastens and assembles car parts by riveting, bolting, welding, and other methods.
* Removes and replaces defective components on rolling stock (trucks, shoes, coupler assemblies, air brake systems)
* Communicates with others, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information. Able to read, understand and interpret information.
* Troubleshoots and solves problems.
* Works with shop machines, tools, vehicles, and equipment and cleans and supplies work areas.
* Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures, wear prescribed safety apparel; take appropriate action when conditions threaten safety of self or coworkers; ensure equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work
* Safely and effectively operate the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment.
* Develop and maintain positive working relationships with coworkers, supervisors, contractors and/or customers and effectively handle conflict situations.
* Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA).
* Inspect a perform maintenance on/in the Clive rail facility including greasing switching, reinserting spikes, and weed control.
* Other responsibilities include radiological decontamination of railcars using pressure washers, grit blasters and/or grinders.
* Provide on the job training to subordinates, coworkers, and trainees or apprentices
* Responsible for the quality of his/her own work and satisfying customer (internal and external) specifications.
* Must be able to work independently and resolve practical problems.
* Must complete process/facility training as assigned
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Intermediate verbal and written communication skills
* Strong interpersonal skills and team player attitude
* Grit blasting
* Welding, cutting, grinding
Physical/Mental Requirements and Working Conditions
* Ability to perform physically demanding work
* Ability to work in extreme weather conditions and environments wherein there is exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors, gases, chemicals and mechanical and electrical hazards
* Ability to carry, push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds; handle, grip, and reach above or below shoulder
* Ability to use hands and feet to accomplish tasks as assigned
* Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend/stoop, crouch, squat/kneel, crawl, twist at the waist and balance
* Ability to effectively communicate; speaking, reading, understanding, writing and hearing clear English; pass audiogram in hearing conservation program as required by location
* Ability to perceive depth and adjust focus
* Ability to see close and distance, basic colors/shades, peripheral vision; and basic hand/eye coordination
* Ability to work inside an office, outside, and in extreme temperatures
* Ability to work with machinery vibration, power tools, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces; operate equipment/machinery
* Ability to work with others, interact with the public, operate a motor vehicle, and perform under deadline pressure
* Basic mechanical ability
* Ability to wear protective equipment such as: respirator, goggles, hard hat, gloves, steel toe boots, and chemical resistant coveralls
* Ability to use both low precision (tape measure, hand level) AND high precision (caliper, electronic scale) instruments to get accurate measurements
* Able to perform basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and conversion of fractions into decimals and decimals into fractions to solve practical problems.
* Able to extract relevant information from tables, charts, graphs, and text
* Able to effectively and accurately understand, interpret, reference, evaluate, organize and record non-technical and technical information
|Minimum Qualifications and Years of Experience|